Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Discovering the same device many time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vickdu

MIS
May 14, 2002
ZA
Hello ladies and gents

I have recently been appointed as NNM admin..I have a problem where by NNM discovers the same device so many times..When I drop it where it belongs it is discovered again on the object holding area on the parent map..What might be the cause and solution to this?

I have tried to delete it from all submaps but problem still persist..

Best regards
Victor

If autodiscovery is turned on, it will be discovered again and again. The best solution is to add the IP address to the netmon.noDiscover file and then restart netmon. You may find the detail steps in the HPOV user guide.

Hello KWTSO

If I include the ip address on this file then it will mean that I dont want NNM to discover or poll this device.What I want is NNM to discover the device only once just like the other devices and I still want information and traps from this device..

Any explanation to that!!

Best regards
Victor

I guess there is some problem in your topology database. If it happens on a particular device only, I suggest to add the IP to netmon.noDiscover. You will still have trap received and poll info regularly if it is already on the map.

For long term solution, I suggest to check to topology database. You may check a particular object by :

ovtopodump <object name>
e.g. ovtopodump 192.168.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back