Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations gmmastros on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Discovering Portugal: Uncover Hidden Destinations and VPN Solutions

teknance

Technical User
May 20, 2024
IE
Hello everyone,

I'm starting to plan a trip where I'll be traveling around Portugal next year. While I plan to enjoy each destination during the day, I'd also like to work some evenings remotely from my laptop.

Does anyone have suggestions for a cheap or free VPN I could use that would allow me to appear as though I'm working from back in the US? I have been using the free version of Proton VPN but would like to hear from you for a better one. Reliability and security are most important since I'll be logging into corporate systems but using my own laptop.

In case some of you have also traveled to Portugal, would like to hear lesser known destinations as well. Thank you in advance!

I suggest you try Windscribe. They have a good free version with some servers in the US, and if you need more choices, their paid plans do not cost too much. I’ve found it works well for remote work.

As for Portugal, you should visit Aveiro. People call it the "Venice of Portugal" because of its lovely canals and colorful boats. It is very beautiful there! Also, think about going to the Alentejo region. It's not so crowded with tourists but has amazing scenery and cute villages to see. Do you have specific regions in Portugal you’re planning to visit?

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Aveiro and the Alentejo region sound lovely. I'm considering Sintra, Coimbra, Fatima, and the Algarve, but would also like to briefly visit the capital, Lisbon, to explore the Alfama. It seems like there are a lot of beautiful places to see in Portugal. I'd also like to ask how you decided which ones to visit. Did you travel to Portugal solo or with a local guide, @GlobeTrekkerGal?

Windscribe looks like a good option for a VPN. I appreciate you recommending one that you've used successfully in the past. What I love about Windscribe is that they also have a Linux version. While my work laptop runs on Windows, my personal laptop uses Linux. Safe and stable internet access will definitely help me achieve a more flexible work-life balance while traveling. Wishing you all the best!

I picked my spots based on a mix of personal interests and recommendations, and I traveled solo with some guided tours in Lisbon. Are you travelling solo?

Yeah, Windscribe is a solid choice, especially with Linux support.

Thanks for sharing how you selected destinations. I'll be traveling solo to Lisbon and Porto, so I plan to explore at my own pace using public transport. Guided tours sound ideal, especially for less popular destinations where English might be less common. I've heard good things about [URL unfurl="true"]https://gowithguide.com/portugal/guides[/url] on other forums. Do you have any specific tour operators you recommend in Lisbon or other places, @GlobeTrekkerGal?

Lisbon and Porto are great for solo travel! For tours, Withlocals in Lisbon is highly recommended, and Taste Porto is amazing for food tours. The gowithguide site you mentioned is also a good option. Safe travels!

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back