Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

discount weeks in columns of report 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertsquestion

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
GB
Hi,

I'm using MS Access 2003. Table 'T_discount' has got following fields:
Customer
Brand
From_week
To_week

So following records are in the table:
A - X - 2 - 6
A - Y - 7 - 8
B - X - 3 - 5
B - Y - 4 - 9
B - Z - 1 - 5

So in the table the discount periods per customer per brand are maintained.
Now I'm looking for a report that displays the Customer and Brands in rows and the weeks in columns. There should be 1 column per week in the report (even if there are no discounts in that week), so it should just display all weeks in the current year. If there is a discount period for a customer, the weeks from this period should be 'marked' (for example with a specific color).
So for the first record (A - X - 2 - 6), I would like to see 5 red cells on the row for customer A and Brand X (weeks 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6).

Defining a color per record according to a new field 'color_code' in tabel T_discount would even be better, but let's start with the simple version..

I hope my explanation is clear and someone out there knows a solution for this question.
Thanks in advance!

Robert van der Berg
The Netherlands

First create a table [tblNums] with a single field [Num] and records with values from 1 to 52.

Then create a crosstab query with a SQL view like:
Code:
TRANSFORM First("X") AS Expr1
SELECT T_Discount.Customer, T_Discount.Brand, T_Discount.From_Week, T_Discount.To_Week
FROM T_Discount, tblNums
WHERE (((tblNums.Num) Between [From_Week] And [To_Week]))
GROUP BY T_Discount.Customer, T_Discount.Brand, T_Discount.From_Week, T_Discount.To_Week
ORDER BY T_Discount.Customer, T_Discount.Brand, tblNums.Num
PIVOT tblNums.Num In (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16);
You shouldn't stop at 16 but keep going to 52.
[tt]
Customer Brand From_Week To_Week 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
A X 2 6 X X X X X
A Y 7 8 X X
B X 3 5 X X X
B Y 4 9 X X X X X X
B Z 1 5 X X X X X
[/tt]
You can use conditional formatting or code in the report to set the properties of the controls on the report.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Hi Duane,

Thanks for your solution, works great!

One additional question: is there a possibility to let the user of the database decide which weeks will be visible (as columns) in the result of this query?
So in other words: is it possible to make the weeks that are in the output of the query 'variable' by letting the user enter a first- and last-week on a form?

So I guess that the last part of the SQL should be changed:
PIVOT tblNums.Num In (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16);
should then be something like:
PIVOT tblNums.Num In (tblNums.Num >= Form!first_week and tblNums.Num <=Form!last_week);

Ofcourse this last piece of code won't work, but maybe you know how to solve this?

Thanks,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back