Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disconnects from Internet after 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhanson02

Technical User
Nov 30, 2001
US
I am running a script that opens wsftp and ftps a file. The files are large and take more than two hours to transfer. In the middle of the transfer i get disconnected from the internet for no reason. it seems like the connection is timing out, but the transfer is still in progress. thanks for the help in advance.

Mike

If it is exactly 2 hours each time it sounds like your ISP is disconecting you, try their technical support team.

In the mean time you need a piece of software that allows you to resume downloading from where you left off:-

Try this one.

Geraldine

Is this a dial-up account?

If so - it sounds like either the FTP site has an idler timer on it, or your configuration is set to disconnect after 2 hours.

To check this, open IE and go to Tools/internet options/connections/...highlight your dial-up settings (if applicable)/settings/advanced/ and uncheck the "Disconnect if idle" box.

If you're not using IE, there should still be a way to do this - though im not sure how.

Still - 2 hours on an FTP connection is a long time, and a 2-hour disconnect timeout is probably set on the remote computer you FTP to.

Hope this helps.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I have tried a different ISP and it still disconnects me after 2 hours, I have tried a free account through address.com and also AOL. I will try the idle disconnect, but I don't see how that would help because the line isn't idle. Thanks for the help

Mike

If it still disconnects and you have the Idle disconnect unchecked - it's definitely the FTP site you're connecting to dropping your connection to allow more bandwith for other users.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

I have tested it many times and it has disconnected at 2 hours everytime. Do you know if there is a disconnect time in IIS anywhere? I have looked and can't find one.

Yes - there is an IIS conenction timeout in IIS 5.0 and 4.0.

Most likely, however, the site you're connecting to uses a Program to host the site such as Serv-U or Cute FTP, etc. Those have greater control of connection features, and also have timeouts for Idle, and connection duration.

Depending on the site - many FTP hosts use an Idle timeout or Connection timeout for anonymous users, but no timeouts set for authenticated users.

In either case - I highly doubt the problem can be corrected by doing anything on your machine. I am 99% sure it is either your ISP doing it, or the remote FTP site disconnecting you.

You said you've tried it many times - was that connecting to the SAME FTP site, or different ones? If you get disconnected from the Internet - and not just the FTP site...it's your Dial-Up settings or ISP disconnecting you.

What ISP are you using?
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

I have used AOL and a free acount from Address.com and get the same problem with both. The problem isn't with the FTP site because looking at the log files there have been transfers to that site that are more than 2 hours long. The only thing left would be dial-up networking, do you know of any place that it is set to disconnect an active connection after 2 hours? The connection isn't ideal because it is transfering the file. Thanks for your help.

Mike

In AOL (depending on your version) it's almost the same as the instructions I posted before. (in IE, go to tools/internet options/etc, )

That's the only setting to disconnect. If that doesn not do it...are you disabling call waiting? That will disconnect you when someone calls you (if applicable).

It's gotta be something in that area since you've tried 2 ISP's. Either the timeout in your Internet Properties, call waiting, or your POP/ISP disconnecting you.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Fixed the problem, the free account and the free hours from AOL must have had a two hour time limit because we got an AT&T account and I can stay connected for more than two hours, Thanks for the help Pbxman

Address.com disconnects me in 5 mins, and I can't seem to find out what the problem is. Even though my idle time is set to never disconnect me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back