Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disconnecting users for database updates - Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yazster

Programmer
Sep 20, 2000
CA
Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can help me with this one.

I have about 25 databases which I'm keeping in a shared folder on a desktop PC (windows 98).

I have an application installed on about 120 different user PCs which uses a .DLL (installed on each pc), which is a collection of about 20 different objects all sharing the same connection to the database PC. The DLL has a MAIN startup subroutine which connects to the database PC using ADO through an ODBC user DSN.

Here's my problem: The databases need to be refreshed daily, and I need to "lock" the users out for about an hour to perform this. I don't want to have to go through NET WATCHER, kicking everyone off, then disabling the share until I'm done.

I'm looking for a systematic way to lock users out while databases are updated (this is a completely automated process).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Yazster

To kick everybody off you could reboot the computer and then open each database up exclusivly after its restarted so that no one can connect to it.

I am kind of in the same boat as you and this is what I do for it. If there is something simpler, I would love to know!

How about a text file on a shared drive that your dll looks at and set the value for lock/unlock.

I had a similar problem. Only 1 database however and less than 50 users. But the databse needed the data upgraded on a weekly basis and I needed to be able to access the program
for updates. (people would minimize program and walk away). I put a timer on the program that began when the program was started. Then after a select period of time (I used 3 minutes) the program auto exited.
Seems to work for now.
hb

thread705-79802

thread181-7646

try using the search capability. the above are two of many threads previously posted with 'soloutions'. I used key words "Kick" & "Users"

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back