Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disconnecting from VPN causes reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBMac

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
US
We have a remote user running Windows 2000 who reports that recently whenever he disconnects from the VPN (connected to our Windows 2000 Server) his system reboots. This is a new problem, it used to work fine ... he simply right-clicks the VPN icon on task bar, chooses disconnect option and his system goes into a reboot. Has anyone see (and solved) this problem ?

Recent service packs or fixes on the client machine??? Haven't seen it, but it would not surprise me if SP4 did this, I have seen it do some other really weird things to DUN/VPN connections.

Have you had the user try a right click on anything else? Is it possible that the reboot is related to a right click and not the VPN connection?

Could be some sort of malware, sometimes dialers in particular try to do things to discourage removal or deactivation. These measures may leak over to DUN. Go to -- download and run cwshredder, spybot s&d, and ad-aware. Not sure that will help, but you would be surprised what they will find.

Other than that, I would try recreating the connection, maybe for a different user. If that works, it would be a fair indication that something is not right with the registry.

What type of VPN client is he using and how does he connect to the internet? If you create a straight dial up to your company using a modem (phone line), does it reboot? Does it ever reboot when he is on the VPN?

Are there any entries in the Event Viewer? Any new software or hardware installed recently?

Delete the VPN connection and recreate it.
Create a new profile on the PC and try it again.

Post answers to my questions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back