Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disconnected network shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeppsenc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
US
I have a Windows 2000 network with four servers. We are not running Active Directory at this time. All users on the network (about 50) show the red "x" disconnect symbol on each of their network shares, or sometimes on just some of them (different for various users!) when viewing with explorer. We can still view the contents of the share, however. Soemtimes Word and other programs will complain they couldn't open the share because the name is in use. Clicking a couple of times on the Save button gets past this issue. Does anyone understand what is happening here?

I have the same problem. Hope someone here can shed some light on this.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be that the default autodisconnect time of 15 minutes was to short. So I turned it off. There are two ways to do this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters: Modify the autodisconnect key and set it to -1.

You can also use this.
from a command prompt type
net config server /autodisconnect -1

It is recommended that you use the registry one because using net config option can effect autotuning options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back