Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disconnect idle sessions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkchopexpress

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2005
GB
I'd like to be able to disconnect idle Citrix sessions but i can't seem to find where to set it I've googled this and the answers that i find are all terminal server settings. Is this where i should create these settings rather than in the Citrix console?

Using PS 4.5

Thanks.

Hi
Yes in Presentation Server 4.5 you configure this through Terminal Services configuration in Administrative Tools. Choose Connections and the Properties on the ICA-tcp connection.

Regards
/Hof

Hi thanks for the reply. Can this also be set in group policy if you have multiple Citrix servers?

Well there are settings for this under Computer configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows components - Terminal Services - Sessions and at the same place under User Configuration.
BUT..
..these settings don't apply to ICA-tcp connections, they only apply to RDP sessions.
I haven't found a way to set the ICA session timeouts through policy. I guess it should be possible if it is controlled by registry values but then a policy template has to be created first.
Regards
/Mats

Actually the Terminal Service settings timeouts set in group policy do work when set from group policy.

The setting is applied to terminal services not just the ica protocol.

Colin

Your Life and Technology blog

Hmm i set it to 30 minutes in GPO and it shows (greyed out) when i look at the ICA properties but teh sessions don't disconnect. Is there more than one setting that needs to be enabled?

I am not sure. As I said I don't think that the group policy settings will be applied to the ICA-tcp connections.
/Hof

I've set it manually on the ICA connection and it's working now cheers.

Manually setting is a good option if you do not have many servers.

In my environment We have the computer policy, set on the servers to remove disconnected sessions after 10 minutes.

In the user accounts the defaults settings are used for session timeouts.

On the servers they are not set to over ride the policy.

I guess it comes down to the group policy no being applied correctly. Are you applying user and computer policies in the same GP? Have you configure the GP loopback option?

Even though it is a different protocol it still uses terminal servers.

Hope it all works out for you.

Colin

Your Life and Technology blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back