Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disclolored lcd screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash111

Programmer
Jul 8, 2003
NZ
Any suggestions, my notebook screen has a red color to it. Maybe a white balance issue, is it the screen or more likely the card?

Is it consistant throughout the entire screen? Practically all video card drivers these days let you adjust the brightness of the individual colors. Grab the latest drivers for your video care & try that out in the advanced display properties.

Normally with lcd's most failures fall into one of two areas
If it is physically damaged you will end up with a dark splotch on the screen. Electronically damaged and the pixels will not light.
If you still have a picture and it looks discolored I would go with dakotas suggestion.

We don't use LCD's here at the workplace just CRT's, but when these symptoms arise it is usually down to the VGA cable being damaged from constant bending etc.

This is usually tested by the ever scientific method of "Giving the cable a wiggle". If it is the cable then hopefully it is a detachable one.

Grenage, that only works with external displays.
He did mention it was a notebook.

Actually, Bobg1, I have seen these exact same symptoms on a laptop LCD, and it was in fact a "loose cable". Upon opening the case I discovered that the ribbon cable to the LCD screen was not seated firmly into the connector on the mobo. The screen in question was not showing red hues, but instead, a washed out yellow.

dash111 - a disclaimer to my above post, it is extremely easy to damage a laptop by trying to fix it if you are not experienced. Trust me.

Matthew Janes

Everything in its right place...

The Hue is probably a damaged ribbon cord somewhere. I doubt it's the driver but as that is the cheaper option to reinstall then that should be your first step.

Laptops are very easily "hurt". make sure you have a jewellers set of screwdrivers and watch for static as everything is packed closely together and static affects far more than a desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back