Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disaster recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

elchanguito

Technical User
Aug 5, 2002
US
Hi all,
I want to know how can I implement a backup for a disaster recovery?

For example, the backup server crashed and the file system that contained all information about clients (index files, etc, etc ) have been damaged.

If I run a tar backup every day of the file system that contained index clients, is that enough to restore the information at the moment of the crash and the networker recognize all information about index file, media info?

How Can I do that ?

Hola Changuito,

that's not necessary since networker backup the bootstarp itself each time the NW server is backed up... take a look to the NW documentation regarding "bootstrap". Also take a look to the "disaster recovery guide" from the legato documentation.

Basically, if you have a disaster in your NW server you must use the "mmrecov" utility in order to restore the bootstrap (it include the mm and res folders), once you recover the bootstarp you issue the "nsrim -L7" command in order to redo the client file index.

Cheers.

ok, thanks for your answer.
The bootstrap information is sent to me everyday by mail when the diary backup finish.
I only see in the Customize Menu in the nwadmin GUI in the Notification part something like this.

/usr/ucb/mail -s "bootstrap" USERS

where USERS contains my email direction

I have 2 more questions

how does networker know that it must send me the bootstrap information ?

And what must I do to save bootstrap information in one tape every day by crontab.

- The bootstrap notification specifies what to do with this save set's status information.

- The boostrap is saved
- every day when the NW server's client will be backed up by his active group.
- if this client is not a menber of an enabled group, NW will create the bootstrap at the end of every group that runs.

So there is no need for a cron job.

If you want to send all boostrap to one tape, you must define a new pool. As a celectrion criteria, simply specify "bootsrap" in the save set list.

Also dont forget the instalation requirements as specified in DR guide of Networker, you need to ensure same IP settings, resolve domain name, have same directory structure and computer name etc for DR to be sucessfull.
The best thing to do it practice it a few times, if you have external tape drive, isolate and perform DR on a test machine and make sure to clean up after.
Any openion "instructor" on just replacing nsr dirctory on DR test maching vs using tape while recovering, because i dont have any external LTO drive to perform treditional recovery, i know it works, is there a catch ?

If EVERYTHING is the same, you may of course this. Antoher solution would be to mirror this disk locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back