Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disaster Recovery Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZmanZONK

MIS
Nov 17, 1998
US
I have been assigned the task of performing a disaster recovery test at the end of this month.<br><br>My task is to restore 3 Netware 4.11 servers SP6a (there are about 40 servers in our primary OU and all are currently the same version):<br><br>Backup server<br>File server <br>File server (NDS master)<br><br>NDS is going to restore only the OU's where these 3 servers reside.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hardware will be similar (but not exact).<br><br>Has anyone been involved in a similar test who could refer me to some useful guidelines for performing this test?<br><br>In the end I will be happy with network connectivity (I have never restored NDS before).<br><br>

First off, make sure your Backup software has the ability to not only Backup the NDS objects, but also backup the NDS ID's.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is very critical.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have one without the other you wont be able to restore NDS safely especially if your NDS becomes corrupted.<br><br>Second.&nbsp;&nbsp;From each server you should do a LOAD DSREPAIR -RC on each server,&nbsp;&nbsp;this creates a dump file of NDS which can be restored.<br><br>Third, in your backups, make sure this file is included.&nbsp;&nbsp;DSREPAIR.BAK i believe the name is called.&nbsp;&nbsp;You may want to logon to SUPPORT.NOVELL.COM and verify the switch of DSREPAIR and backup file name. <br><br>In your restore, you can restore NDS using this file.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is a TID on this process and Novell recommends using it especially if you are not sure if your backup software backs up NDS.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>One recommendation we have made is that the DSREPAIR -rc command be used each night and that this file be backed up from every server.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>one misconception is that if you backup the MASTER you are safe.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is not true because each server maintains its own information on NDS.&nbsp;&nbsp;So if a server crashes and you lose NDS on that server, restoring the master will not restore NDS on the crashed server.<br><br>Hope this makes since.<br><br>Thats all I can offer for now.<br><br>Mark <p>Mark C. Greenwood<br><a href=mailto:m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com>m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back