Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disaster recovery prep....suggestions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertieuk

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2004
I am trying to do some backup and prep work for Imail disaster recovery.

I have been told that If the imail server crashes then I could simply re-install imail on a new machine and then overcopy the registry:-

HKLM\SOFTWARE\IPSWITCH and all sub keys

This would restore the configuration???? I appreciate that physical directories and actual emails would not transfer.

Does anyone have experience of this? Is there any better way. We currently have 4 imail servers with approx 100GB of stored mail on each server. Backing up this mail is proving to be a nightmare.....I am currently considering replication of Imail mail data...again I would appreciate any feedback.

Si

Of course, the first step is to backup the domain data directory. This is usually C:\IMAIL\USERS, or if you were wise enough to the message store on a different drive, then D:\domainname_com\..

This copy can be done to tape, or as simply as plugging an external drive into the server and using Windows explorer to drag and drop the folder.

In the iMail adminstrator program, there is a function to do a backup. This gets the registry keys, domain configs, etc. Do that and make a copy of the ouput as appropriate; the outfile file will be in the IMail root folder (C:\IMAil) Any mulit-address aliases you created are stored as *.lst files in the domain data directory.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back