Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disaster Recovery Plan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maleyj

MIS
Nov 24, 2001
US
Hope someone can help me with this.
The DBA who set up our SQL server left the company and they want me to set up a DR plan for all our servers. I have created and tested plans for both our NT and 2K server which work but I have no knowlege of how to re-create the SQL server on different hardware. Our DR test will be at an off-site location with no access to our home network. Unfortunately we are using Arcserve 2000 with the SQL client, I say unfortunate because the product is no longer supported by CA and I am still waiting for new software and hardware for backup purposes. I would appreciate any guidence the group could offer.
Thanks in advance.

I was in your same situation; the method I rely on is the following

9pm Nightly SQL Backup (DB Maintenace Plan)
11pm Nightly Arcserve File System save of E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP

To recover....
Then at your DR site, simply install SQL on your new box
Start SQL in single user mode, restore your Master database, start SQL back up and then restore our other individual dbs

This will bring you back to that position of the night and it is very straightforward. Once you get that sorted, then you can start on log shipping and other neat stuff. Good luck

Thanks for the answer, I just found out there is an offsite DR test set up sometime in the next couple of weeks so I've got to get your idea tested by the end of next week, If your example works it will save me hours of work.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back