Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disaster recovery - NBU 4.5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewfr

MIS
May 22, 2003
GB
I posted a thread some time ago asking how I could merge a catalog. I didn't manage to find a resolution to this and have tried to get help from Veritas/Symantec but they will only help us if we pay for support backdated to 2003 which I think is unfair (and very expensive).

What I need to know now is how do I set up a disaster recovery procedure? We had no help in setting up the system so it just goes with the defaults. The catalog backs up to C:\CATBAK on the server, as I have had the problem with a server going down this is obviously not a good idea. Where should it backup to?

The setup we have is a Windows 2000 server controling an L20 robot with Netbackup 4.5GA. This backs up our main Novell network and some Windows servers as well. We have a duplicate Windows server ready to conect in the event that there is a problem with the other one.

If anyone knows how I can merge the catalog from the old server I would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Andrew.

There is no method to merge the catalog but you can restore the catalog from one server to the other.

I would highly advise you get the catalog backup off of your C:\catbak area and onto tape ASAP. This can be done by going into the GUI and clicking on the catalog icon in the left screen. You can right click and select catalog backup and choose 2 pieces of media to backup your catalog to. You can choose the C:\catback location as 1 area but use tape for the other.

Once you are ready to recover, you just need to place the tape in a drive (preferably the first) and do;

bprecover -l -tpath <path to tape> -v

for example - bprecover -l -tpath \\.\tape0 -v

this will list the images to recover.

To recover change the -l to -r

Thanks for that, I will set it up like that. It does seem strange to me that it isn't possible to merge a catalog, it's just a database isn't it, or am I way off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back