Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disaster Recovery - moving master db to new server and new partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8277

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
US
I am creating some disaster recovery documentation and doing some testing. My problem is: On my production SQL server all of the sql data is located on drive E:\mssql\data\*.* and I am trying to restore all of the data to a new server on C:\mssql\data.

I was able to restore the master db, however, I can not get SQL Server to start up because it is looking for all of the other databases (model, msdb, user ...) on E:\.

I am getting this in the Event Log for each db: 17207 :
udopen: Operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.) during the creation/opening of physical device e:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\model.mdf.

You can try running the database from a command prompt with minimal config (-f switch) and you may then be able to restore model and msdb. You'll also need to tell SQL to move the tempdb with the ALTER DATABASE Command.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back