Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disappearing Stored Username and Password Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepole

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2003
US
I'm using an XP Pro client logging onto an NT4 domain.

Upon login, I need this worstation to map several drives on a server which is on a different, untrusted domain. In the past, wheneveer I mapped the drive and checked the little box that told it to re-connect on logon, it would remember my username/domain/password info for that server and would log back on fine.

Starting yesterday whenever I log on I get a "could not connect to some mapped drives" error on my stsyem tray. If I open explorer and click on the drives in question it prompts me for a username/domain and password, which work when I type them in.

I have an Exchange server that is running on that same untrusted domain. In the past I have been able to open up Outlook and it connects immediately to the server, now it prompts me for username/domain and password.

If I open up the Control Panel/User Accounts/Advanced and go to "Manage Passwords" I can add this server (never had to do this before) and everything from then on will work fine. I can even log off and back on and it will be fine. The problem is if I reboot, all those settings are lost.

How can I get Windows to remember these credentials? I've looked through the MSKB, but I can't find any info on any registry settings to either add these credentials or a flag to tell Windows to remember them.

Thank you.

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, what is the current status of your Protected Storage service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back