Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disappearing records

Status
Not open for further replies.

jartman

Programmer
Oct 16, 2001
US
Here's a good one:

I have a table that appeared to have lost the first 278 records. When I discovered the records were missing, I added them back from a backup of the table. I then opened my application and ran code which recalculated a balance (the table is an inventory ledger). The calculation completed successfully, everything was back to normal, I poked around a little and went home. The next morning I found the exact same batch of records was gone again. I tried again and they were gone again the next morning.

The table has 24,000 records and is 24MB in size. I've checked that all the required fields are there (in the records to be added) and fields with referential integrity links have valid data. I don't think the file size has anything to do with it because we're adding a hundred records or so per day but the same 278 records keep disappearing.

Is there any validity checking which goes on when the table is opened, as opposed to when a particular record is edited? If so, wouldn't the records wind up in a KEYVIOL.DB or ERRORS.DB somewhere? I know this isn't enough information, but I have no clues to go on.

What is the common thread between these records? Are they history for one customer, one vendor, one catagory of item? Do you have any code/routine that clears or deletes history or inventory?

Another thing to try is the table repair utility. First verify the table and then rebuild it. Back up FIRST!

Personally, it sounds like there is a routine that is clearing those records out.

James D. Howard

There's no common thread in the data, it's just the first 278 records in the table. After I wrote the post above, I added the records again and immediately did a table repair; the records stayed put. Then I opened a form which has no code in it - just a form to view one record. Records still there. Then I opened another form which filters on one of the fields. It has some code, but just for setting up the filter on open and right-clicking to some other popup windows. As soon as I opened that form, the records disappeared in the first form. What's strange is that the disappearance was immediate, i.e. < 100ms. If I had some code in there scanning and deleting, it would have taken seconds (at least) to disappear the records.

Does anyone know when Paradox (or is it BDE?) applies the validity checks defined on the table? Does this happen only during post transactions, or is something also done when the table is opened?

Next thing I'm going to try is to rebuild all linked tables as well... just guessing now

Table validation is performed as the record is posted/unlocked. To my knowledge, no validation is performed on opening a table. I would suspect a corrupted table here. I've seen some pretty bizarre behaviour from knackered tables. Try creating a query on said table with all the fields checked (check plus) and opening your forms against the new table (Open in design, change table, run).

Martin Evans
Arenig Ltd

sounds like gophers. Sorry. I am having a similar problem with a different database fornmat. Interested in the answer. I am beginning to suspect something viral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back