Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disappearing Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

obliviux

Programmer
Jun 2, 2000
US
I'm Running XP Pro. When ever I run the task manager or run a program like regedit from the run box, the window runs, displays for about 1-2 seconds then disappears. I have run virus checks on the machine which did not find any.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Go to START --> RUN and type SFC /SCANNOW

.... sounds like something is corrupted.

Just my $.02

--Greg

I tried the SFC /SCANNOW. This did not find anything wrong.

I then tried the link and checked for the viruses that were listed. None of those were found. The program that makes copies of the taskmanager and the other files was helpful. I can at least run the copies that were made. Thanks!

The behavior you decribe is by design. Running from the prompt does just that: "run only", it does not open a DOS session. If you want to see the app run open a DOS session by running "cmd". You have to have the DOS shell open first to have it remain open while executing a DOS command.

-Van

Well, not for RegEdit... that's a windows program, so Start --> Run will launch the windows app.

--Greg

Just my $.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify it's owner." --Me
--Greg

I stand corrected, gbaughma is correct. Regedit should run, I failed to read thoroughly. I was thinking of the behavior you get when running something like "ipconfig" directly form the prompt.

-van

I used to be able to click on start -> regedit or right click on the task bar and bring up the task manager. Something happened that causes it to close as soo as the window pops up.

Jeremy

Yes I can open a command window successfully.

Jeremy

This really is the classic symptoms of infection, perhaps a second opinion with a different virus scanner would be justified?

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

You could try comparing the Properties of the original programs with their renamed copies and see if there is any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back