Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disappearing network drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAMOV

Technical User
Jan 12, 2000
AU
We have just upgraded all our PC's to WinXP Pro SP1. They connect to a Win2000 server. Occasionally, after logging on, only local drives appear. By Selecting Start/Logoff, then logging back in, the drives re-appear.

Also, I have shortcuts on the desktops pointing to applications on the network using a drive letter for the target. Upon logging in, the target changes to the full UNC path rather than the drive letter, which causes the application not to start and displays an error.

This is becoming a nuisance, as staff constantly ring support with the above problems.

Any ideas

I had that happen to me occasionally and discovered that my login script wasn't executing sometimes. When I edited it with Notepad, sometimes it saved as a .txt file if I was not careful. Now I use another editor and it doesn't happen.

If you are mapping these drives with a login script, can your users who have a problem tell you if the login script executed?

JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

We have a similar problem.

Have a mixed network that contains Win95,98,2000,XP connected to a Windows 2000 server. We recently installed several new XP wksts,SP1. We are on a domain,and do run login scripts for mapping network drives. I will log in,my script will execute, and my drives will appear, I can access them,view files,etc. After a while, it varies, sometimes it can be 2 or 3 hours, I lose network drive connections. This happens to me at least twice on a daily basis on my pc. The only way to get them back is by either mapping them in windows explorer or by logging out and logging back in. I've installed all the latest updates,hoping that would help, but no luck.

I found this bit of info here on the boards. My problem could have to do with the network card hibernating to save power, to change this go to the ntwk card's properties, power management, and de-select the option "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power".

I'll let you know if this solves my problem.

Thanks for the responses ...

In response to Mattrway:

I'd say that both the problems are related.
We use login scripts and we are on a Domain.

In response to jlfiller:

In some cases the login script does not execute. Most of the time by logging off and back on the drives re-appear. But for one user, the login script fails to execute. If I login as another user on the PC, the login script executes. If I login as the user on another pc, the login script works ?!?!?

Login script problem -- that's what was happening here too. I have no idea why. Once I stopped editing the loging script with Notepad, I don't think it happened again. But I don't know why it would execute for some users and not for others. How's that for weird??

JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back