Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disappearing Layers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyB21

Programmer
Dec 4, 2000
GB
Wondering if anybody can help me? I am trying to design a web page that has various form fields to fill in dependant on which radio button choice you select at the top of the page. Essentially, I want a dedicated space that you can replace with a different content without affecting the surrounding page. Also want it done by the client not via a server-side transaction.

As an example, the "express search" section on the site is almost exactly what I'm looking for - does anybody have any code that replicates this? How is this type of "block-replacement" done?

Any help appreciated.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I did someting simular, see thread216-192793

On the site "expedia.co.uk" the next two functions are used in the onclick-event (just right click on the page, view source and search in the code):

For the first radio-button: onclick="hideAll();show('flt')"
For the next radio-button: onclick="hideAll();show('hot')"
For the third radio-button: onclick="hideAll();show('car')"
For the fourth radio-button: onclick="hideAll();show('hol')"
For the fifth radio-button: onclick="hideAll();show('ski')"

these are the functions:

hideAll(){hide('flt');hide('hot');hide('car');hide('hol');hide('ski');hide('dts','flt');}

function show(idLayer,idParent){cLayer=dom?document.getElementById(idLayer).style:document.all[idLayer].style;cLayer.display='block';var d=document.Wiz;if(idLayer=='car'){AttB(d.CAge);AttB(d.Ctime1);AttB(d.Ctime2);d.srch[2].status='true';}else if(idLayer=='hot'){d.srch[1].status='true';}else if(idLayer=='ski'){d.srch[4].status='true';}else if(idLayer=='flt'){AttB(d.FcAdu);d.srch[0].status='true';if(idParent!='flt'&&d.opts[1].checked)show('dts','flt');}else if(idLayer=='hol'){d.srch[3].status='true';}}

So now you have to search in the code again to see how they build the layers etc.
look in the code for:

<div id=&quot;flt&quot; align=center>
<table width=370 ..........</div>

<div id=&quot;hot&quot; align=center>
<table width=320 ..........</div>

<div id=&quot;car&quot; align=center>
<table width=380 ..........</div>

<div id=&quot;hol&quot; align=left>
<font style= ..............</div>

and

<div id=&quot;ski&quot; align=left>
<font style= .............</div>

Hope this helps,
Erik <!-- My sport: Boomerang throwing !!
This year I will participate at the World Championships in Germany. (!! Many Happy Returns !! -->

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back