Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disallow save files to desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mospa

Technical User
Aug 4, 2006
GB

Is there a way of not allowing users to save their files to the desktop on XP & 2000. Not saving the desktop is one way but I want to force users to save to their network drives.

I would think that the easiest way would be to go to the desktop folder under the users "documents and settings" and change the rights to the folder...

That would only be easy if it's a few desktops i wouldn't want to do that on all 400 of my clients.

Changing rights seems like a good idea but what about users who already have files saved on their desktops?

Is there no way of disabling the 'save file to desktop' altogether?

Well to change the permissions you will need to visit the stations or remotly connect so you could just delete them then. There is a policy for removing all icons from the desktop but it's a bit sweeping.

I think the only way to make people save out on the network is to make them stricken with the pain of loss. People will learn to save often when the power goes out.. and they'll learn to save their things out on the network when the workstation blows up.

We have a strict policy that states that we arent responsible for data stored on local workstations. Obviously we help when people have lost local data.. people dont make that mistake a second time.

We have redirection of my documents and use roaming profiles... but some items still get through the cracks.

(everyone signs off on that policy when they come to work here.. it also includes the internet policy)

I use GP to have the Desktops included in the Folder Redirect to the User's Network Folder. This way any PC the user logs onto will look like the original and they will always be able to access anything that they saved on that desktop. Our Customer Service dept likes to move their people around alot (3-6 people every 2 weeks)and instead of moving their computers each time, they just move their belongings and phone (VOIP System) and log on to the computer on that desk.

This may something to look at.

We redirect My Documents to their Z: (personal) drive, and Desktop and Favorites to folders on their Z: drive. It's all done via GPO.

Switching to such a Policy shouldn't be that difficult. When setting up redirection, GPO (at least for Server 2003) should prompt you to move to data from the old location. Just have all users log off the evening you make the change.

Test a couple of users manually after the change is made and adequate time is allowed for the GPO to propogate. At worst, your Helpdesk sees a short-term upswing in phone calls when things are missing. The Helpdesk runs a quick copy, and they are back in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back