Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling WSUS on Windows Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

msr976

Technical User
Mar 20, 2006
US
I am trying do disable wsus on our server. We are trying to run different software that does the same thing. By running this software we cannot have wsus running. Is there anyone that knows how to do this?

Ryan

Is there a WSUS service you can disable?

Also is there an interface for WSUS where you might get a chance to disable it?

I couldn't ever find a way to disable wsus. I just went ahead and uninstalled it. Thanks for the reply.

There is another component of this that you need to address. When you installed WSUS, you more than likely also create a group policy to configure the update server. You need to back out that change before you remove the GPO. If you did this via script instead then reapply your script and set the registry values back or point them to your new software.

I have to wonder what you are using and why? With WSUS you have a free product that gives you the ability to have polices for different computer images, it is free, support more than just Windows Updates and offer reporting. What was the impetus to get rid of it?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back