Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disabling the *82 feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

jame142

Programmer
Jan 7, 2005
US
We are trying to stop the abuse of our phone system. We have set up account codes for dial out, but I have recently discovered that some people are using *82 to get an outside line. How can I disable this feature.

Thank you in advance

thats just for type of dialing ...were u able to get a 'line' using this?

Yes, I was able to get an unrestrictive line

explain in more detail how you dial out without pressing *82.

Do you pick a line or intercom dialtone.

All you need to do is to pick the phone and press *82 there is a slight pause and then a dial tone. This is happening on phones that are only able to dial in-house and 911 w/o a code.

OK- sounds like you need to add (* anything) to whatever restriction filter you are using.

Upon further thought disregard my last post. If you are only able to dial in house normally, then you are using IC dial tone, so restriction has nothing to do with it, if you are correct that you can dial ext. to ext. without a code.

Confirm this:
You can pick up a handset and dial another extension without pressing any buttons except the ext. number? -meaning you don’t press the IC button?

And you can do the same thing (press no buttons,) but get an outside line by pressing *82?

When I pick up the handset, the display reads "line 8." I must press the intercom button to dial in-house. If I just try to dial a number, I get the restrictive message. If I just pick up the handset and press *82 I am able to dial any number.

brike..sounds like prime line for that set is Line 8 or Pooled..
The ultimate way of eliminating abuse is having your Telco provide the account code on the lines remotley then those staff members requiring LD can be provided the access numbers and your system doesn't play a roll.

yes... back to adding that as a restriction to your current filter.

*82 is a telco feature that is returning you dial tone. Not sure what the feature is for. By entering *82 as the fisrt digits on the line you are defeating the toll restriction. I've had clients use *67 which here in Ontario Canada is occasional CID blocking to bypass toll restriction. Add * any any to the the toll restriction for these sets.

Marv
TeleMarv Services

Very true.
*82 is a Custom Calling Code called: Select Acceptance Disable.
I will not even pretend to know what that means, but there are a lot of calling codes that start with a * and need to be blocked as per what bkrike and telemarv were saying. This should be standard practice when building restriction filters, because it is very common for users to get around the restrictions with the * codes.

MarvO said it

*82 removes call blocking temporarily so you can call a number that has Selective Call Blocking (will not accept calls from blocked numbers - like some cell phones). Like *67-call blocking and *69-call return, they all bypass restriction codes after the stutter dial tone. Always include them in restriction filters

I'm no expert on toll restriction on Nortel, but can't you restrict the "*" so it can't be dialed? If you're not using call forwarding (it's activated using *72) there shouldn't be a problem restricting it. Also, you might want to restrict "11" since in some CO's you can dial 1182 instead of *82.

macsfo, That is exactly what we are saying, restrict it. And you are correct on the "11" codes. There are a whole slug of them that do the same thing as the * codes, only the "11" codes are for pulse, or rotary dialing, while the * codes are for DTMF. Good point.

MarvO said it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back