Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling serial port on Modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabf

ISP
Dec 26, 2000
SG
Hi,

Heres the deal. I am currently using a Hayes compatable modem connected to some Telco gear to enable remote access to it. The trouble is that when I dial up it drops the connection straight away, but when I unplug the equipment it answers and connects OK. A collegue told me that I may need to tell the modem to ignore the data coming in on the serial port when the modem is answering. He seemed to think that that was why it wouldn't connect because the gear the modem is connected to constantly floods the port with data and this makes the modem not connect.

Any ideas on the AT command that will do this or any other ideas would be great!!

Thanks

More likely that the Telco equipment isn't liking what it finds and tells its modem to disconnect.
Modems are funny. They will figure out how to talk to each other but they can't figure out how to talk to their attached equipment.
What is the telco equipment? Unix based? What kind of equipment is supposed to be on your end? What interconnect speed? Bits? Parity? Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

The gear is a Cisco ATM switch (MGX). I can connect to it with my laptop (Hyper Term) 8 None 1 No Flow. 9600bps. No problems and have configure the modem to use 9600bps. I am connecting the modem into the management port.

And the settings on the computer that is failing? Also using hyperterm?
I've used USR modems with u6 and n6 settings to lock baud rate into 9600 but I don't know if your hayes has the same capabilities.
And do you have any other terminal emulator software available?
Hayes support has pretty much disappeared so I don't know if you'll find any help. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back