Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling save features , tray icons, and screen capturing devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjwilldohisbest

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
US
Hi All.

This topic may be a bit beyond javascripting but I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm starting a small photography business and have almost completed a web site. I have used two forms of scripts for no clicking and no caching in the meta tags in the html document, but I want to go further and disable the tray toolbars and any icons that are related to screen capture to prevent people from saving my images, which will be registered images. There was a program that did do the above mentioned though I figured I'll do it myself and see if I can handcode it. it may be beyond the realm of JavaScripting.

Thanks for all your time.

Hi,

I have made an example that will illustrate what can be done. (This is just a general idea, perhaps this still could be made to perfection B-) )

For convenience reasons I've added it to my site at this url:

The idea is to set focus on the top frame when certain events occur on the picture frame.

Events to trigger focus on top frame:
- onfocus
this is especially for NS, the frame can't get focus so if the user presses Ctrl+U he can't view the source of the picture frame
- onMouseDown (left and right)
Left has no effect on NS, but doesn't matter.
- onkeypress
Can't make it work on NS. Maybe someone else can perfect this? :)

To prevent saving files through the menu, maybe you could place the frameset in a popup without menu bars.

As i said above, this is just an idea.
Hope it gets you starting.

Gtz,

Kristof

PS: bottomline is: this can be difficult with NS. (As usual I might add) -------------------
Check out my new site:

Any suggestions are more than welcome.
There's a LOT of work to do, so judge fairly. :)

There really isn't any good way of doing this except to serve the pictures via a server-side script that checks the referer url or ip address, and conceals the actual location of the images. I just wrote a perl script to do this, but my boss wants to sell it instead of give it away, so I can't advertise it here.
Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard.

Hi again

Almost Kristof.
I used the code but tehre appears to be an error:
top.frames.top.Frame.document..... is null or not an object.

It almost works. I'll keep working with that code.

Also someone can always retrieve the document by hand (using telnet)

Hi all,

Indeed,

I know that a more than average user can always obtain files shown on a website. Usually it is even enough to check your 'temporary internet files' directory since that is were the browsers download the files to show.

The basic problem seems to me that if you wish to show images, the server has to send them to the client. And as soon as that happens, it's out of your control since that files can always be captured. So, I don't think raising security on the server will do any good either.

I think the best solution is to only display thumbnails and/or lower quality images of the original.
And, if desired, the user can ask (by email or so...) to be send the original. Thus, you can always check who has obtained which image. (This is just an idea :) )

So, I believe that my example is specifically usefull for protecting sources. But as I said earlier, it's open for improvement.

Gtz,

Kristof -------------------
Check out my new site:

Any suggestions are more than welcome.
There's a LOT of work to do, so judge fairly. :)

Check out copy safe at This program disallows screen captures and many other attempts to acquire images. I don't know about telnet but Im thinking this place may have taken this into account, already. I could be wrong though. If you try to allow screen capture, the program knocks you offline. It prevents caching to browsers too and disables all icons in toolbars, though this can be done through meta tag commands alone. Someday I would like to get this program but it is costly and doesnt take into account for a capture from a digital camera, outside recording source, though the images wouldn't be as good.

On the copy safe page at the bottom, click demos for a demonstration. I read more and it says that this program takes webmasters from getting the images into account.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back