Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling Realtime.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSR63

MIS
Nov 4, 2004
US
How do I disable Realtime.exe from a system?
I did some research and only get what it is used for and/or the location in the registry however I do not want to delete that unless there is no other way to disable it.

Thanks for any feedback

Get AutoRuns from Microsoft to manage startup items - it's the preferred way to do it. I also use it all the time to find suspicious items that are automatically starting when a PC starts.

By the way, make sure to run the program (autoruns) until it's finished, then check the following options under OPTIONS. This is to hide all Microsoft entries. Then press the REFRESH button or F5

Include Empty Locations
Verify Code Signatures
Hide Signed Microsoft Entries

Now look for what you want to shut off and UNCHECK it on the left hand side.

Msconfig is not the preferred way to troubleshoot general startup item issues. It's mostly for bigger problems, but yes, you can use it. And uninstalling is an option IF the program has an entry in ADD/REMOVE programs.

Using autoruns effectively uninstalls an application in the sense the it no longer runs. It's still present on the system, but not loading.

I use it (for one example) to demonstrate to clients how much their anti-virus is slowing down their machines. I totally uncheck (disable) all Norton or Mcafee functions and then reboot their PC. They are amazed how much faster it boots.

Then, I re-enable Norton/Mcafee/Whatever and show them what they were living with. Then I sell them something better - usually Windows Live One Care or AVG 8.0 Free if they're cheap.

Autoruns is also great if a program's uninstall feature is broken. You can snuff out all the little bits and pieces that start up, then you can delete folders manually and then clean the registry. Not the preferred way, but it works to remove things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back