Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling "File and Printer Sharing"... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerlIsGood

Programmer
Jan 24, 2002
US
So I'm running a solo win2k box (no network), and I decided to disable this function that is obviously not necessary.

Sounds simple enough, but every time I reboot the bloody thing re-enables itself! Where do I look to destroy/modify the file that's causing this at startup...? Notorious P.I.G.

Are you trying to uninstall File and Print Sharing? If so, I doubt that you will be able to. Win2000 installs it, by default.

To disable it, you need to uncheck the box. I tried it on my system and the box remains unchecked after a restart.

Ya, that's what I meant. I uncheck the box and then every time I restart it re-checks itself. I'm a little confused. I have no idea if it's Windows or my ISP is doing this. Could my ISP software be turning it back on (guess I could uninstall it and find out ... )? Notorious P.I.G.

Right click on "my computer" select "manage" under "services and applications" select "services" on the right find "server" and double click it.

In the section labeled "Startup Type" change from Automatic to Disabled. Apply. Reboot.

I don't know if your solution will work dodger6, but my system has it set for Automatic and I don't have the File and Printer Sharing turning itself back on. 'Course, I'm new to Win2000 so what do I know?

group policies? viruses/trojans/back doors? other users of the PC? Hmmm... check the event log... start auditing various bits like successful logins...

Here's a few bits of fluff about file sharing with W2K:

[ul][li] [/li]
[li] [/li]
[li] [/li][/ul]
JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

What do you mean by group policies JTB?

More sys info:

Single-user system.
No known virus, trojan, back-doors (latest updates to scanning software installed).

Will try dodger6' and JTB's other suggestions and post back.

Thx for the links, will check those out as well. Notorious P.I.G.

Well, dodger6' suggestion worked - file and print sharing now stays disabled after reboot. Now I just need to find a new ISP that won't re-start the 'server' app and 'file and printer sharing' every time I log on... [wink] Notorious P.I.G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back