Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disabling "autoplay" when right-clicking on Drive E:

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxx2301

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
IN
I have Win 98 SE installed in my computer. The hard disk is partitioned as C:,D;,E;,F; drives. If I double-click the drive icons for C,D and F drives, they are opened without any fuss. However, when I try to open the drive E by double-clicking its icon, an error message window says that a program to open the drive is missing. If I right-click the icon for Drive E, the context-menu shows an option "Autoplay" in bold letters which is not found in other drive icons. In order to access this drive, I have to right-click and select the "Open" option from the context-menu.

I would be grateful to receive your valuable suggestions to overcome this irritation.

Thanks n regards

-xxx2301

Open the E drive, and look for an autorun.inf file.
If one is there, then delete it, and see if that fixes things.

Tried that with no success. It does not have any effect on the context menu when I right-click on the E: drive icon as the "Autoplay" option is still visible in bold letters. The exact error message, when I double-click the E:drive icon, is as follows:

Windows cannot find Muzshell.exe

This program is needed for opening files of type "File"

I do not understand this as I am trying to open the Drive and not a folder or file. Why is Windows trying to recognise the drive as file?

Any suggestions?

Do a virus check, and remove any spyware with either Ad-aware or Spybot.

Thoroughly checked with NAV and AVG Anti-Virus scanners - no virus infection. Ran Lavasoft Adaware and removed all unwanted adware/spyware. Still back to square one. Any other remedies???

Thanks n regards for the responses.

-xxx2301

I opened the computer today after a break of 4-5 days. Surprisingly, the autoplay option is gone now. May be that I did not reboot after deleting the autorun.inf file to verify. Anyhow, I am now able to double click the E: drive letter icon and the window opens without any fuss.

Thanks for all you guys for the prompt response.

-xxx2301

xxx2301,
Glad to hear that you're back in business.
And thanks for posting back with the solution.

When 98 first came out there was an old saying that went with it,
When installing software or drivers or hardware in 98 and you have tried every feasible way to make it work correctly and it/they still do not, turn your computer off for 24 hours and when you boot back up 98 inevitably has fixed its own problem"

Anyone else remember this?

Right now, you occupy a point where three lines reach across the expanse of time and space and intersect only there, and that you and only you possess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back