Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling Phantom DN? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITTech0315

IS-IT--Management
Sep 1, 2023
US
Hi all,

I am very new to the Nortel PBX system and am having to learn it. I am working on a project to replace all of the old phones and moving to a new Cisco system. Because the place I work at is huge and has so many phones, I am having to disable TNs in order to find where the phones are located. I am running across Phantom TN's now and I want to try to disable them to see if they are still in use/see who still uses them. Is there a way to disable a Phantom DN? I've tried in LD 20, but it just errors out when I try to disable it. I've read in some places the maybe LD 96 will allow you to do it? Thanks in advance for any information/help you can provide!

I don't think that you can disable a Phantom DN.

What I used to do was to change the DN by just adding an extra digit or changing the leading digit to a single digit that's spare on your phone system.

In LD 20
REQ: PRT
TYPE LUDN
DN ( press enter or add in any leading digits to check)
Press enter again.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Other way is take a TNB so have the details to put it back, and change the DCFW on the phantom to your phone, or a mailbox asking them to leave details of number called and what its function is, or info mailbox telling them the service has been suspended and if its still required to contact you number/email etc.

One thing to watch for is say I have a callpilot application for example rather than setup an RPL to allow external dialling you forward from the Callpilot applications to phantoms RPL only needs to allow internal calls, then the Phantom forwards on to the outside world. In this case no end user would be aware of the Phantom in the middle.

Yes, Bignose is correct. The problem is that your system might not had proper housekeeping done for a number of years and back then it was easy to loose track on what was actually active.

When people left the company or mailbox options were changed, the TN's and DN's were often forgotten about.

Use the attached file and produce a snapshot of your phone system in excel format and this might be an easier way to know what was configured.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Great! Thank you both! So, If I wanted to change the DCFW, would I do that in LD 20? Also, my desk phone is on the new Cisco system. Would that affect any of the forwarding if I change that setting to my number?

DCFW
LD 20
REQ chg
TYPE 500
TN <l s c u>
ECHG yes
ITEM ftr dcfw xx yyyyyyyy

xx = number of digits yyyyy=destination

for moving sets to the Cisco how are the systems connected, if its with a TIE trunk etc. you can either

remove the station add DSC/TSC for each extension as you move it

or you could enable Vacant Number Routing (VNR) which sends any number not on the CS1K to an RLI you put against VNR and point that to the cisco

or if you use Numberzones you can add in ZFDP which falls below DN Tree so say ZFDP says 2xxx goes to cisco and 2000 exists on the Cs1K the extension rings, when it is removed it will route to cisco with the ZFDP match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back