Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling onboard video question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eelad

Technical User
Sep 10, 2000
CA
When upgrading a system with on board video, I'm wondering just what the procedure would be. For instance, would I put the video back to standard vga mode, than install the new card, than disable the onboard video in the CMOS, or will that not work?

Thanks,
Eelad

What you want to do is install the video card (with the machine unplugged and shut off; ONLY IF YOU KOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!) into the PCI or AGP slot, and start up the machine. Then, you will want to go immediately into the CMOS, and turn off the onboard video, you should then be all set. This option to turn off the onboard video should be located in the Integrated Peripherals section. Hope this helped.

- Enigma666
(Jonathan)

OK, so I pretty much had it right. I already know to turn the machine off. Thanks alot for comfirming this for me. I just like to double check new procedures before doing them.

Many Thanks,
Eelad

Yes, and it also depends on the type of your motherboard. Some will immediately recognize that you've inserted an AGP video card and disable onboard video automatically. Older mobos might not do that for you. It also might not if you use a PCI video card...

OK, I'll remember that about the different motherboards. Thanks for the info.
Eelad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back