Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disabling onboard sound winxp....(gulp)...help

Status
Not open for further replies.

switters

Vendor
Mar 4, 2003
US
I recently installed a Turtle Beach Sound Card on my Winxp machine...everything installed properly however I believe I have to disable the legacy sound in bios.

1) How do I get into bios :( (When my machine is booting f10 doesn't do anything and all f8 does is get me to a boot menu)

2) how do I actually disable it

Any feedback would help immensely!

Thank you

Jason

try F2 when booting - if that don't do it, try the DEL key...

when in the bios, look for the part marked Integrated Peripherals, usually under advanced, I think.

Look in the list for Onboard sound (or Onboard AC97) and then set to disable. Make sure u uninstall the drivers that the onboard sound actually used.

Scotsdude[bravo]
Help us help you - let us know when our insane scribblings help!!

thanks...

one more question...when I go to the device mangler..i mean manager, i right click on legacy drivers and i doesn't give me the option to uninstall...I've only had my xp machine for about a week and there might be a different way to disable it?

Thanks

Jason

try going into the Add/Remove Programs thingy, in the control panel. I just put a new sound card in mine recently, and had to disable the onboard stuff, and the drivers were actually in there for some bizarre reason (Avance AC97 Audio). try that...

Scotsdude[bravo]
Help us help you - let us know when our insane scribblings help!!

Been there done that. You need to get into the bios by pressing f1 or del or when you start up sometimes it will say it. If all else fails press all the keys! You need to go there first and get that out you can't just disable it in device manager. When you are in the bios look around for audio 97 then disable it. Along with the Turtle Beach sound card came 2 cds Santa Cruz (app.) & Ejay Special Edition. You need to install both cds. I have Turtle Beach and love it. I got it for xmas I'm sure you will like it and I have xp also. Make sure you check your sound icon in your control panel and make sure it says Santa Cruz not the old audio device.
Cindy

Give us more stats on your computer.
What kind is it?
That would tell us how to get into the bios, and every thing else about it.
thanx

All you need to do is this - Go into your BIOS by pressing del while your computer boots. Disable the onboard sound using the + and - keys on the keypad part of the keyboard. Reboot and go into windows. You should have been supplied with cd containing the driver/(s) for your soundcard. Put it in the drive. It should autorun, if not just go to start and run. Once the drivers have installed you may need to reboot again to get it working properly. But it should be working by then. Pretty much as Cindy said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back