Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling NAV ? - bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locum

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2002
US
I have been seeing an obscene amount of business users that access Databases (i.e. Peachtree, Made2Manage, MSS90 etc...) that have been told by Database administrators and various programers to Disable NAV while running these programs. This is very dangerous to your pc, others on the network, and the ENTIRE database. Is it just me or what?

The excuse always seems to be that the database app runs slower with NAV. My response is, "get some darn RAM!" Pop the xtra 40 to 70 dollars for one or 2 sticks or trash your database and a few others on the node, not to mention production downtime and loss in labor. And I always hear that they only disable it for the period that they use the app. There are 2 problems with this thinking.

Fist is, that most employees always forget to enable NAV after exiting their Database and constantly recieve e-mails via outlook running concurrently with their other applications. They leave it disabled for weeks if I don't catch it.

Next, since they are accessing the database often it is likely that a worm will follow and corrupt a file on a server or a shared/mapped drive to another client that is also likely to have NAV disabled. I am constantly nailing magistr, elkern, klez, and still getting nimda.

Is the server protected? Yeah, with Nortons Corp edition of course, unless some other tech decides to disable that autoprotect. Because a programer wants to beta a new report using visual fox pro, or a trail version of an app is installed to assist engineering to inventory parts. And of course after spending hours trying to resolve their features they forget to enable it back in play.

I don't know who decided that this was prudent but it's driving me crazy when other techs are telling clients to go about their business unsheilded from any malicious code.

I work for a Net-tech support company that handles several companies on an as needed basis. I can't hold their hand 24/7 as if I was the in-house tech. I am in MFG companies, real estate offices, insurance companies, medical offices, law firms etc.... and this recklessness is getting to be epidemic. Especialy since the w32klezh that hit in April. I spent most of my time this last summer trying to nail down elusive worms and viri. I'm sure many of you have tried to shag some of these on a network with 50 or more PC's connected. It's very difficult.

I recomend never running your pc without realtime autoprotect.

Thanx for allowing me to rant. :)

Locum,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back