Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling menus and right click

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstasiak

MIS
Feb 8, 2007
US
Hey everyone....hopefully someone here will be able to help me with this issue.

Right now in the "Current Database" view in "Access Options", I have the navigation pane, ribbons, menus, and shortcut menus disabled. However, when I close and re-open the DB, I still see the "Home" ribbon and the Office button on the top left corner. With those items there, the user can right click on them and select "Customize Quick Access Toolbar". Once in that customization screen, they can set the default form to be whatever they want. This totally bypasses the security I have manually built in.

I have 2 options:

1. Find out how to get rid of the "Home" ribbon and the "Office" button(or disable right clicking on them....the methods to do this that I found here and other sites didn't work. It didn't prevent right clicking on the ribbons).

2. Make it so that the Access window doesn't actually open when the DB is opened. Meaning when I double click the icon for the DB, only the default form opens, and not the actual MS Access window.

I've seen code for previous versions of Access, but none work in 2007

Thanks

If your wanting a default form to open on startup and the menus to be disabled:
In access 2003 you can use
Tools --> Startup
then select what form your wanting to open on start up and disable menus. Don't know if it will work in 2007 but I imagine there will be something similar. Let me know if this works.

Hope this helps.

alan

I already set my default startup form, which is the login form. Once this is set, the user should have no way to get to these options to set the default form to something else. If they were able to get to these options, that would pretty much give them the ability to bypass the security I have built by setting a different default form.

Here's the issue....When I disable menus and toolbars in Access Options, it removes the button to even get into Access options(good thing). However, it leaves the "Home" ribbon and Office button. If a user were to right click either of those, they have the option to "Customize Quick Access Toolbars", which opens up the Access Options that I initially tried to restrict access to when I disabled the button.

A curious user could easily bypass the security by doing some exploring.

What I'm trying to do through VBA code, is either remove ALL menus, eliminate the ability to right click ANYWHERE in the Access window, or totally eliminate the Access window and just have the default form open when the db is opened.

I know there is code out there to totally eliminate the Access window, but I've only found it for 2003. I'm using 2007 and the 2003 code doesn't work.

I have another question. I actually did this on a few of my databases, but how to I undo it to get to the right click menu so I can make design changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back