Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling Indexing and Deleting the Index/iPool

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoonsong

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2012
SG
Hi,

I am currently running LES971 purely as a storage for users & systems to upload documents via the fontend & LAPI respectively. Thus no livelink indexing or search is required. I have created the enterprise index during installation but have left none of the processes under "System Object Volume" running. However I still see files being created under the data_flow directory and it is building up fast. Is there a way to completely disable the indexing process and delete the index w/o downtime?

I have thought of doing the u/m but I would like to consult experts from this forum before doing so:

Stopping the Admin Service completely and deleting all files in the index directory (which includes the data_flow directory).

And out of curiousity what process is creating those files in the interchange pools (data_flow folder) even though none of my processes (Enterprise Extractor, Document Conversion, Update Distributor) are running? Note my DCS and RMI Registery Server statuses are both online but that still doesnt explain why the files are created (or does it?).

Many thanks
Hoon SOng

The ipool files are proprietary
Search index files if you touch them
It will corrupt your search index
Just like a database uses indexes
Livelink uses a search and indexing
Mechanism the files may be caught
By virus scanners and that is the reason
Ot says to disable av
If you stop the extractor no files
Would go thru
The search processes are extremely
Beauautiful pieces of livelink
Engineering and if you don't need
It don't use it but which software
Out there gives you metadata and full
Text index with that much less horse
Power OT was the worlds first
Search engine mechanism if you
Remember Yahoo search stuff inthe 90's
Sorry had to say this as I am over
Awed by its capabilities
I am not a Ot employee

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

also dtreenotify and windexnotify are the two tables alerting the indexer or giving it work.If you empty that by way of a database trigger then the search (admin processe) will never get anything to process.OT does not like you playing with their schema so you will be on unsupported territory.

Thanks for the reply =)

I know it sounds odd to switch off search and indexing but the scope of the project does not include that thus no resources are allocated to it. It is possible in the future there will be a requirement and appropriate resources will be allocated but currently I do not have the resources to maintain the index. So I m just wondering is there a safe way for me to it turn off and the index folder deleted?

Go to KB and read upon the the processes and read how it works.It can be safely done in many ways.
If you turn the extractor off it will not process anything you will just have to clear out the entries accumulating in dtreenotify/windexnotify.
If you delete the default admin server it will quit processing as well.At a later point you can add all of them back and even re-index from scratch.

Rather than deleting the content of the table, which could be done with a DB level job / trigger, you may be better off disabling the triggers that populate those tables. If you speak to your OpenText Account Manager you should be able to get an NDA to get a copy of the database schema.

Greg Griffiths
Livelink Certified Developer & ECM Global Star Champion 2005 & 2006

Thanks for your reply.

Currently I have access to neither the KB or Open Text Account Managers. But I do have the standard LES971 installation guide, user & administrator online help and a "Advanced_Indexing_and_Searching_Guide_for_Livelink_9.5,_9.5_SP1,_9.5.5,_and_9.6.pdf". None states the exact steps to turn off indexing but I roughly understand the process thus I thought the steps I stated initially and below should suffice.

I am thinking of the easiest way to do it. Which upfront I think is just Stopping the Admin Service completely and deleting all files in the Enterprise Index directory (my index folder is very small but my data_flow directory is huge 700GB!). As for the tables what are the implications if I were to not touch them? As to access the tables I would involve a very lengthly process.

Regards
H.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back