Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling IE and browse from search box in XPPRO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLMatt

Technical User
Jun 18, 2007
US
I have a few point of sale systems that are not on the domain and subject to overall group policy, and I need to disable all access to internet explorer. I need to also make sure that users can't get around this by typing a web address in a search box in a menu such as My Computer.

I know I can remove the search boxes from windows using gpedit, and I know I can remove the links to IE using program access and defaults, but that doesn't stop anyone from using run -> iexplore to launch it still.

The PCs are fully updated XPPro boxes, and the users will be logging in with accounts that have local administrator privileges. (Yeah I know, but we have some specific hardware that is easier to deal with when being passed to a terminal server when running under an admin account.)

This doesn't have to be a super secure fix, just enough to prevent a bored teller at the sight from going to or whatever.

Thanks for any links or advice in advance!

Unfortunately, users can also use normal Windows Explorer aka 'My Computer' to type a url directly in the address bar, no search required. Also, since they are administrators, they could easily install an alternate web browser. You're much better off just blocking internet access on these machines entirely (which I assume is the ultimate goal here).

Configure IE to use a ficticious proxy?

Rename iexplore.exe?

Both of the above?

No doubt there will be some far better and more intelligent suggestions coming along shortly!

See if any of the suggestions in these seem feasible to you.

disable internet connections
thread779-1259267

how to block 1 pc from home network
thread779-1457660

267930 - How to Configure Internet Explorer 5.x to Block Access to All But Approved Internet Sites

I've thrown together some of my own ideas and some of the research from this thread, along with various threats of bodily harm if anyone tampers with the stations, and I think we are good to go, thanks for all the help!

To add your ideas, especially the ones that work, do post back with your solution, that way the next reader gets the benefit of them too.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back