Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling daemons at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag6969

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
CA
I am using RedHat 7.2 on a notebook and have no need for some daemons that were installed. One in particular is sendmail. I noticed in /etc/rc.d/rc.3 (system boots to console), that there are sym links to all the daemons that seem to start, so is it safe to delete the symlinks to disable that service, or is there a different way? By the way, I noticed the daemons have a number before the name, eg. S80sendmail -> ../init.d/sendmail. What does the number stand for? Thanks for the help.

Hi,

For 7.2 they have a new gui tool to administer runlevels :

/usr/bin/serviceconf (run as root from a x terminal window)

The traditional command-line tool 'chkconfig' is still there. To turn off sendmail at all runlevels you would do :

/sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 sendmail off

I wouldn't recommend touching the symlinks themselves - just use one of the above tools which does it all for you. As to the '80' thats just a priority number to determine which services get started first or last at a given runlevel. The 'S' of S80.... means start at that runlevel and a 'K' means kill (stop). If you do :

head /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail

You will see the first ten lines of the actual sendmail control script and note the line that says :

# chkconfig: 2345 80 30

That info is read by 'chkconfig' (and other utilities) to determine the default behaviour - i.e. normal 'start' runlevels, start priority, stop priority.

Hope this helps

Thanks alot. Yes, that definitely helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back