Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling Certain Keyboard Keys When the Database is Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

nim180

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2005
AU
Hey everyone,

While my database is open, is there a way of disabling the ctrl+alt+del and windows keys to prevent users from closing the database?

Thanks,
Nim

Nim,

Depends on your intention.

E.g. the user could lose focus from your application and then have access to alt+ctrl+delete (you app. has no control over that).

Why do you want to do this, and what other 'Windows' keys are you referring to?

ATB

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience.

Hey Darrylle,

When my database opens the login form automatically maximises and i have it set so the user can not move the form around to access any programs on the desktop but the problem im having is that they can press crtl + alt + del and access task manager that way and press the window key next to fn + alt to access the start menu. How can i prevent the user from doing this?

Thanks,
Nim

Nim,

To be quite honest - I wouldn't expect an application to be able to hijack an operating system in such a way.

I can't see a 'child' process (your app within the op sys) being able to override the op sys, because it sit's within the op sys scope.

If this IS required, then you can try <keypress>, <on key>, <key up>, <key down> events to trap specific key presses (CTRL, ALT & DEL).

You would have to stop ALT (due to ALT + TAB switching applications within Windows).

Can't say I've tried it, but can say I don't believe that Microsoft is so stupid as to allow it!

Good luck.

ATB

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience.

The long and the short of it is that you can't disable ctrl + alt + del (you can change the way it works but that's a whole different beast that I doubt you or anyone really wants to tackle).

You can however disable the task manager through local group policy settings on the computer...

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
Carter, hand me my thinking grenades!

You can hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around, or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters. - Eric Cartman

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244: How to get the best answers before post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back