Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disabling cache.dns for win2k dns

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickclark

MIS
Dec 5, 2002
GB
Hi,
I am experiencing issues with DNS on a win2k active directory domain. Essentially, nslookup gives
> all
Server: UnKnown
Address: x.x.x.x
*** UnKnown can't find all: Non-existent domain
>
This is because the DNS server is using the %sysroot%%system32%%dns%cache.dns file which includes addresses for root dns servers. The network is isolated, using proxies for browsing etc. I would like to make my DNS server the 'sole' root server for my network. According to the %sysroot%%system32%%dns%%samples%boot file i need to comment the line in the boot file to stop DNS reading the cache.dns file. Can anyone tell me where I can find the boot file so that i may comment out this line, alternatively any other suggestions would be welcome. Please note our domain name is just sitename not sitename.com ... could this be the cause of my probs ?
Thanks
Nick

If you want to make your server to be a root server, then you will have to make you name server authoritative for the . (dot) or root domain. You will need to create a . (dot) domain and make your name server master for the .(dot) domain. This should create a db.root file.

The boot file for DNS when using files and not the registry is in the Winnt/system32/drivers/etc directory and is call the named.conf file.

The issue of looking up "all" in nslookup may not be the issue you are explaining. Try fully qualifying the name you are looking up host.sitename.

There isn't a problem creating a doamin that does not end in .com. Your name server should still answer the fully qualified queries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back