Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling Applications from Command Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyabroff

MIS
Nov 27, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a way to disable a published application from a command line. I know who to disable a server but we have a application load balanced across 20 citrix servers and we are looking for a way to disable the app so no one can login to the farm.

We are running win2k, citrix xpe.

Thanks

You can use the Change Logon command to set Logon states:
change logon /disable - Disables all users from logging on remotely by ICA sessions.
change logon /enable - Enables all users from logging on remotely by ICA sessions.
change logon /query - Queries the current state of logon.

Of course that knocks out the entire thing rather than a specific published application. Other than that, there isn't one I know of. You basically need to use the CMC.

Cheers

We have the same need. There are no Citrix tools to do this.

What we did was, rather than publish the application directly, we published a script that ran the application if and only if some "sentinel" file did not exist. If we wanted to disable access to the app, we built the sentinel file. We used Kixtart for the script so we could present a message to the user so we could tell them why the app was locked or whatever. It's more friendly than just not starting the app.

You would have to do this for every app, but it's worth it if you find yourself needing to disable apps frequently.

Why not modify the app, by removing the servers serving it in Published application manager? Then add them back later.

In the CMC, on the properties of the Application you can disable the app. I just tried it, and it still showed up in nfuse but it would not open.
Kind of a halfway solution.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

We are creating an application to migrate files production servers. Currently we disable the application through the cmc. I am looking for a method to do the samething through dos.

Thanks

There is no Citirx utility to do what you are asking. There just isn't. I suppose you could try to write your own utility using ODBC that would go in and manipulate the IMA database just like CMC does, but I am not brave enough to do so...

The solution I presented earlier, writing a wrapper script for each app, means that you can switch the app on and off from DOS by simply creating or purging a file. Further, you could even make THIS action a published app through the program neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back