Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling American Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

furtech

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2003
AU
Hello,

I'm looking for a way to disable English (American) Spelling Dictionary in Office 2003 and enable English (Australian) Spelling Dictionary. I can get them both to work currently at the same time, but I can't work out how removed English (American).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

---------------------------------------
Matthew Collins
---------------------------------------

I've had a similar problem - despite specifying UK English as the norm, it keeps US English as the default.

For Word template documents, you can specify the whole document as defaulting to your own version of English (or any other language, I assume).

For pasting from non-Word documents, I'd found that US English was being assumed regardless. But in Word, at least, you can use 'Paste Special' and get just the text without format, language etc.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

In Office 2003, run the Language setup tool (Start, All Programs, MSOffice, MSOffice Tools, MSOffice Language). Here you can uninstall all languages except your default.

However, you will still need to ensure that your templates are set to your default language. But text should now default to your language and not US English.

Regards: tf1

I too am suffering with Office2003 defaulting back to US.

We have gone to great lengths, especially for date purposes when merging Excel Files, to ensure not just Office has default UK settings, but the whole PC default is UK.

The regional settings and system locale are UK, and US keyboard options have been removed.

The MS Office2003 Language setup tool had been run to set the defaults to UK, and Word's Normal.dot template language set to UK.

I'm not sure if there's anything else we can do to set the defaults permanently to UK.

The problem application seems to be Document Imaging. Despite setting the language to [Default Office Language Setting], it will import the text in as US, and if users are not careful, this will change Word's Normal.dot to US, which in turn changes the default dictionary to US.

Even with Word2003 open with a blank new document, and everything checked as UK, Document Imaging still changes the language to US.

Like Matthew, I too would love to delete the all US settings and dictionary.

How is it done?

LIVERPOOL FC - FA Cup Winners 2006.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back