Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabling ACPI in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

brotherbobby

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
US
I have been dealing with tech support with my soundcard and they have told me to disable ACPI in BIOS, reformat my HD and reinstall XP and disable ACPI during the reinstall.

The only thing in my BIOS about ACPI is 'ACPI Sleep Mode'. The only two options that I have to set it for are 'S1/POS' and 'S3/STR'. Does anybody have any clue which setting to use?

I have created a ACPI disable disc for my reinstall, does anybody have any clues or suggestions?

God bless,
Bobby

I've been searching for a way to disable ACPI for WinXP install (if there is no such setting in BIOS setup). The only info I found so far is this text:

"You can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you
that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI
and allow you to continue your installation."

I have not tried this yet, so cannot say if it does work. Give it a shot if you want.

Good luck.

Hey BOKA,

Windows XP:
To Automatically disable ACPI:
With ACPI disabled in the BIOS, reinstall Windows over itself.

To Manually disable ACPI:
Copy the install CD to your hard drive, edit the Txtsetup.sif file to change the ACPIEnable value to 0. Save the file, and then rerun the installation.

I copied those files to a CD and created a "Disable ACPI" CD to install from with the ACPI value set to 0.

I haven't had a chance to do it yet either. I tried the step that you were given. That is for Win2K. When I did it using WinXP I received the blue screen of death and my computer would not boot. I had to restart the installation from the beginning and re-enable the ACPI by NOT pressing the F7 key. Actually, the tech support I received had said to press F5, I believe. Anyway. . . .

God bless,
Bobby

most new BIOS's are setup with the ACPI hidden and enabled.
this is alittle bit long but will help you
this is from Sudhian Media for the Abit KT7A-Raid Motherboard. this should still work with most motherboard's BIOS.

Modbin6 file

"You should not normally need to do this. ACPI is a modern standard for computer resource and power management and disabling this may lead to uncertain results and reduced functionality. None of the newer BIOS versions support the disabling of ACPI through the BIOS, as this functionality has been hidden. This is because this is a prerequisite for any mainboard submitted for Microsoft WHQL approval. However, if you are desperate for this option, then it is in fact still available with the BIOS releases, but you must use a utility called modbin6 to modify the BIOS options to unhide this feature. This is a simple exercise. Needless to say, you risk corrupting your system by modifying a BIOS file yourself and flashing the machine. You therefore do this at your own risk. Note that after disabling ACPI in the BIOS, you may need to reinstall Windows. To enable this option, do the following:

Copy the BIOS file you wish to modify (eg. UZ103b1.bin) and modbin6 to a temporary directory
Type "modbin6" to start program
Select the filename you wish to modify, and hit return. It will load the BIOS.
Go to "Edit setup screen" on the option list and hit return
Scroll down the option "tree" to "Power Manage" then use the right-arrow key to select the "ACPI function" item (which should be in black).
Press return to bring up options, and use up/down arrow key to select "Normal" and then hit the spacebar to select. (It was originally on "Disable").
Press Esc twice to return to main menu
Select "File" then "Save BIOS". Enter a filename and hit return.
Hit Esc twice to Abort then Quit
You've finished! Flash your new BIOS!
Under Windows 2000/XP you can disable ACPI from within Windows as follows:

Go to Device Manager and select Computer -> Properties of ACPI PC
Click the driver Tab and choose Update Driver
When the wizard gets to the "What do you want the wizard to do?" page select "Display a list of the known drivers..."
Then "Show all hardware of this device class"
Then select "Standard PC"
Reboot the machine "
When Windows restarts it will redetect most of the hardware in your machine again and reassign IRQ's to them, turning off ACPI.

Well lads and gents,

I simply used my newly created CD to re-install WinXP with the disabled ACPI function mentioned in the above post and it worked.

NO ACPI! Hallelujah! WinXP doesn't even give me the option to go into Standby Mode.

Great!

As far as the BIOS setting goes??? Dunno, but it isn't interfering with my performance, so I'm leaving it at the S3/STR setting.

God bless,
Bobby

I have an ASUS P4T533-C motherboard with Award BIOS.
I hit F7 during an XP install/reinstall and like a poster above was rewarded with a BSOD during the bootup process.
Is that viahardware site modbin program good for Award BIOSes, or for some other BIOS vendor's code?
Thanks.
-Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back