Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disabled SHIFT on startup, but can still access data via ODBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajaeger

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
US
Is there a way to disable access to the tables via an ODBC connection. I have disabled the Shift Key and have minimal user level security setup as I have most of the security set-up at the row-level from within Access.

I just need to ensure that a technically savy user can't get in to see the tables from another way.

Thanks.

Anna Jaeger
iMIS Database Support

Not really help this, but a possible alternative....

I am looking to roll-out a multiuser system in the near future, and i'm looking at using Access Run-Time to package up my mdb. This should run like an install wizard, and make my access system 'tamper-proof', and keep code and tables etc safe.

I think you can get it from: (1) Access Developers Edition (2) Visual studio tools for MS Office (3) MSDN Subscription.

However - I am still researching this possibilty, and hopefully will know more in the future!

Cheers, Supanoods B-)
"If it aint broke - dont fix it!

Access Runtime doesn't really help to secure a database. It merely means the end-users do not require a full MS Access license to run your application.

The only way to secure an Access database and restrict access to data is to use user-level security. Search the FAQs on this site for "Access security" for more info.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

The only way I'm aware of to secure an ODBC connection to an access database is to have the database secured.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back