Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable USB from task scheduler

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenEternity

Technical User
May 4, 2001
US
We have a system we need to have scheduled to go into standby at certain times, which is working except that we also have a USB device attached that won't let us go into standby.

Different operating systems and manual user interaction are not an option, unfortunately.

Anyone know of some sort of regsvr or other command to disable/enable usb?

Unless someone else has a better solution, either unplug the device before going into standby or replace it with one that supports standby.

Like I said, manual interaction is not an option. This is going to be doing automated data retrieval from the device, which we also don't have an option about.

Some way you can batch file a Safe Mode boot...USB wouldn't load in SM, would it?
Then on completion of the download...reboot normally.

Hmm, that might work... I suppose if we can go into standby in safe mode...

Hi GoldenEternity,

1. Why won't the device let you go into Standby - what happens when you try?
2. What USB device is it?
3. Why do you need to go into standby?

Ash.

My idea hinged on the fact that minimal drivers load in safe mode and I was doubting/guessing that USB drivers would be among them...effectively putting it in enforced "standby".
Just a SWAG, anyway.

When we try to put the laptop into standby, it appears to go into standby then come back out and gives an error that a device won't let it go into standby. If we unplug the device, it goes into standby just fine.

The device is a data aquisition device (DAQ). We'll be hooking this up to something that operates during a set schedule and gives power to the laptop. Since the power source will stop generating power, we want to minimize power usage, so we want to put the laptop into standby. We can schedule a time that the laptop will come out of standby, so this should work well.

We don't want our customers to have to power the laptop off and back on, since we know that it'll get forgotten.

So, we just need a way to disable this device or usb in general, from a scheduled task. We contacted the vendor for support on this, and they said "maybe you can disable it"... not much help.

Wondering if one of the "wake on" states could be changed to accomodate it...(as in turned off)

The apm in this bios isn't very extensive. Scheduled standby is the best we can do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back