Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable unwanted shared folders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wavoo

Programmer
Sep 15, 2001
HK
I am on a workstation using WINME and our server WIN2K.
When I click on to 'My Network places' icon in my desktop, there are several shared folders from other workstation computers I could see. But I never mapped those before. The same thing also in the printers. I am able to see other network printers in my printer folders without me adding any of them.

My question is how can I disable this. I do not want to see any other PC's files or printers in my PC. HELP OUT.

Thanks,
Wavoo Ib.

You'll have to go to each pc with a shared folder or printer and unshare it. Network Neighborhood will find all available shares in it's current local network which is not the same as mapped drives.

If you are going to my network places and you see shares from other computers along with "entire network" and "add network place"... these are shortcuts. You'll see them in the Nethood folder of the profile. You can delete these shortcuts if you desire. They do not affect the shares that are created on other computers. You could always add a script that deletes the shortcuts out of the Nethood folder and have it run on user logon if you wanted to get rid of it everwhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back