Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disable tab stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal63

MIS
May 22, 2001
CA
My boss has been making some forms lately, with a lot of checkboxes, and he wanted to know how to not make them tab stops, because I suppose his theory is that the user should click on them, not tab through a whole bunch of checkstops. I took a look in the field properties but didn't see anything that looked terribly promising.

Any ideas ?

I can't think of a way off the top of my head, but if I get a chance I look for ways to completly eliminate fields in the tab order.

In the mean time, some things I can offer is to force the checkbox fields to the end of the tab order. This would make the user believe that it's easier to hit the checkbox with the mouse as it becomes appropriate to do so in the visual order of the form.

But to be honest, I prefer to build forms for ease of data entry. Doing so would allow for both mouse and keyboard entry of checkbox controls (as well as others). Basically what I'm saying is to allow the user to tab the appropriate checkbox and hit the spacebar to check it. This makes data entry faster for those persons that use the same form a lot and are more comfortable suing the keyboard (as I tend to be).

Checkboxes are using set as an option group. It's either one or the other....not both. Therefore, I usually set it up so that as one is checked, the other unchecks itself. This is done by using the actions settings for each field. Choosing the reset form - and choosing which fields to reset is one way of doing it.

Hope my comments and ideas help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back