Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable .pst's

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox007ss

Technical User
Mar 1, 2003
AU
We have been having a lot of issues with users allowing there pst's to go over 2gig and get corrupted. We have decided to ban pst's all together, Is there an option so that we can completely disable the creation of them preferably through a gpo? If this is not the correct forum please let me know and i will close this thread.

I'm pretty sure this is the version that works...

Code:
CLASS USER

CATEGORY "Microsoft Office Outlook 2003"
CATEGORY "Mail Setup"
	EXPLAIN "As a network administrator, you can restrict users from creating or accessing Microsoft Outlook personal folders (.pst) files."
	KEYNAME "Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook"
	POLICY "Disable .pst files"
  	PART "DisablePST"
  		NUMERIC
  		VALUENAME "DisablePST"
  	END PART
 END POLICY
END CATEGORY
END CATEGORY

toss that into an ADM file and push it with a GPO. It applies to Outlook 2003 only. In order to see this policy in the GPO editor, you have to set the Filter that says you want to view "unmanaged" policies.

Also, you can limit the size of .pst files using the ADM template from the Office resource kit.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Ya know, I spent 20 minutes looking for a thread about this issue. I then gave up and posted the above response. Sure enough - now I find it.

Take a look at thread931-1213645

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back