Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable print browser on Win2K server in NT domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlingo

Programmer
Nov 19, 2001
US
I'm working in a domain that is across a WAN. The domain's PDCs and BDCs are NT based. However, there are Windows 2000 servers that serve only as member servers (not as DCs). Each of these Win2K servers is behind a router that has filtering turned on to disable all other Win2K servers from accessing the other Win2K servers. This isn't a problem until user's attempt to add printers on any client (NT or 2000) within the domain. Each of the Win2K servers are also print servers, and when the master browser attempts to enumerate the printers in the add printer GUI, the servers that cannot be seen, due to the filtering, have to time out before the user can browse the network and add a printer.

I've attempted the following with no success:
1.) Use MMC on the Win2K server to disable Print Browser (2000 solution).
2.) Add the DisableServerThread D-Word in the Windows 2000 server registry (NT solution).

I attempted the following, which was successful, but didn't seem to speed up the delay:
net config server /hidden:yes

Anyone have any other ideas, or solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back