Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disable ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirlance

MIS
Sep 17, 2002
US
Hello

I need to run some website/ftp tests. To do so, I need to disable port 21 & 20 (FTP up and down). How do I disable these ports on a system. For obvious reasons, I don't want to do this at my gateway.

Thanks

You need a firewall program like zone alarm. Or if you know your ports well enough, you go to tcp/ip settings in local connection properties click advacned, options, tcp/ip filtering. From there you can specify which ports you will allow to be open. But, you can get a free version of zone alarm and just block the specified ports if your not sure what ports you need and dont.

I don't think the free version of Zonealarm allows you to specify which ports to block/allow (though I could be wrong). It's my understanding that you need Zonealarm Pro to do that... ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

I think by default ZoneAlarm standard will block all ports, and then unblock as you request.

Don't quote me on that!

Ash.

Zonelalarm standard will block all ports to begin with. Then, as a program tries to connect to the internet, you can choose to always allow, always ignore, or have it ask you again each time. However, you cannot specify which ports to allow. It is only done by program/app.

The Pro version gives you the ability to actually configure port numbers... ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back