Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable ping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmedmt1981

Technical User
Nov 22, 2006
AE
Dears
I'm working on Solaris 9
Could you please tell me how could I disable ICMP ECHP-REQUEST developed by ping command
I tries to disable the port 7 from etc/service file
but nothing happened
thanks

What are you trying to block inbound or outbound?

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

You might need to install IP Tables or something...I could be wrong, but I don't think Solaris stops this by default.

Thank you so much for your respond
I searched in the internet
and the only solution is to install an additional firewall software

It probably would be easier just to disable them at the network level instead of at the host level. currently this is what my company does, all though it is annoying (not having the ability to ping a host) it is effective.

many many thanks djr11
but could you please explane to me more
and if there is any procedure to do this

Install this

disable icmp

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back