Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disable OTM on Windows Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfblais

MIS
Feb 13, 2003
US
Does anyone know how to disable OTM on a windows 2000 clinet? I am using a Solaris 8 master server, and the client is a Windows 2000 machine. Veritas documentation says to disable, but doesn't say how, except on a Windows NT master server.

In the Netbackup Management Window there's a "Host properties" tab (for 4.5) or "Netbackup >> configure" (for 3.4).

Then on the client properties you should be able to disable OTM.

You may also try to edit registries on the Windows client, there a key called "OTM_Use", you could set it to no (HKEY LOCAL MACHINE >> Software >> VERITAS >> NETBACKUP >> CURRENT VERSION >> CONFIG).

Hope this helps.

It's been awhile since I had a Unix NBU Master, so I don't know if what I'm going to suggest applies in your situation. In Backup Policy Management, locate the Class, select the Client, right-mouse, select Properties, and on the OTM tab, deselect "Enable OTM during backups".

If you're only backing up data folder/files on your client, then I wouldn't think selecting or deselecting OTM would be an issue. I've always disabled OTM in all environments on all Servers and Clients and in no case have I ever had an issue with restoring a machine, even full restores. Open files that may not get backed up have not been an issue, but again that's my experience, perhaps others may have experienced problems.

OTM is a royal pain in the ............

I never use it unless 100% necessary. It slows backup speeds significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back